Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 30, 2013

A Cold and Rainy Monday - ALL DAY!
December 30, 2013

Here I am again with a very late post.  Actually I have been trying to get on for the last hour, but somehow all my settings are messed up.  I am frustrated to say the least!  Firefox is giving me fits.  My kids tell me to use it instead of Explorer, but I have really had trouble tonight with it. 

What a busy day I have had.  I got up about 6:30, made Ron's coffee and went back to bed.  The next time I woke up it was 8:00.  I spent the morning cleaning the living room, doing 5 loads of laundry, cleaning the kitchen, washing and putting away dishes, making 2 recipes of brownies (one with walnuts and one without), unpacking and putting away my Christmas gifts, putting away tissue paper, boxes, and gift bags, along with several other chores. 

It started raining during the night.  I could hear it.  I heard rain spattering all day.  I told Vickey it sounded like bacon sizzling on a grill and she agreed.  Of course that made me hungry for bacon. Ron filled the bird feeders before he went to work, but by noon they were empty.  The little birds were up under the eaves of the house trying to stay warm and dry, and would dart to the feeders for food before returning to a dry spot.  Mostly there were sparrows, but a few others ventured out on this chilly day.  It rained ALL DAY!  The temperature has been about 42 degrees.  This duck stood in the feeder, in the rain, not sharing.  :( 

Vickey got up at 11:00 and Bob at 12:00.  They both have needed time to relax and rest from stressful jobs and they have gotten it here.  Vickey brought several sewing projects with her to get my help.  We worked on some of them today.  We had already laid out the quilt for Bob.  This morning and afternoon, I helped her get started on a couple of fleece projects.  We had fun working on them and she got two finished today!  She has two more to go.
This evening Bob and I worked on the quilt for him.  He would hand me the squares and I would sew them into rows.  We got all twelve rows done in about 1 1/2 hours.  There won't be time to put those together but this will give Vickey a good start.

Bob also helped Vickey on the other project and I am so proud of her for all she got finished today.  It can be back breaking work as you lean over cutting, for hours at a time.
Mom had invited us to come over for supper, but later emailed that her "get-up-and-go" got up and went and she just couldn't do it.  Vickey and I went over and visited and took care of a dish she had in the oven.  Then the three of us went out to supper while Ron and Bob took supper and ate with Ron's mom. 
At supper, I  heard conversations pretty well, but not in the car.  The rain, the car noises, the spatter of puddles we drove through, the heater fan noise, all combined to make it almost impossible for me to hear as I drove.  You should have seen me at the restaurant as I tried to get to and from the car, carrying the umbrella to try to keep me and my Cochlear sound processor dry, carrying my camera and purse, carrying my leftovers, and trying to get in the car to get it warming up before Mom and Vickey got in.  Times like that show the weakness in the left arm - also the weather related aches.  Of course I was trying not to let the sound processor's magnet attach to the umbrella as it had when I was in Houston.

Tomorrow I need to go to the office since it is the end of the month.  Thankfully Ron said I could stay home today.  It was very quiet at the office with all the rain and the holidays.  He didn't need me there. 


  1. I'm so grateful you could hear the rain!! I love the sound of the raindrops falling!!! God is good!!

    1. Thanks, Dottie. It was great to listen to the rain. I have always loved rainy days, but they are better when you can hear the rain.