Saturday, December 21, 2013

December 21, 2013

The Christmas Gathering Begins
December 21, 2013

The first of the out of town family have arrived.  Tonight our son Stephen who lives in North Texas  arrived with his girlfriend.  Bob and Vickey hope to leave early tomorrow morning from New Mexico, if the snow isn't bad.  They had a couple of inches earlier and it is snowing again.  They have a very long drive ahead of them.  Once they get to San Antonio, they will spend the night and then caravan the rest of the way with our son David and his wife and nephew.  It is going to be so much fun to have them all here.  Our other son lives here in town and we will go to their house tomorrow for lunch.  That reminds me, I heard last week, "It isn't what you eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas that you need to worry about, it is what you eat the rest of the year."  True.

This morning early Ron and I went to the grocery store.  I knew I could not lift the 23+ pound turkey to get it in the basket, in the car, and in the refrigerator.  He helped me get the things I needed and we were very pleased to find the store not at all crowded.

I had hoped my trips to the mall were finished, but I found I needed to go today.  I drove into the parking lot at 10:15 this morning, and again found it very empty.  My son said it is packed tonight (they drove past it coming into town).  I was glad to get my shopping done quickly and return home.

There was a surprise birthday luncheon for a friend of mine at noon today.  We had a wonderful, relaxing lunch.  The service was slow and that worked out just fine.  In my hectic schedule (every one's schedule is full this time of the year) it was nice to take a couple of hours out for time with friends.  I was fortunate to be seated between the birthday lady and my daughter-in-law Barb.  We had a good time.
That is me standing on the right, in the red shirt.  Beside me is my daughter-in-law, Barb.  Seated at the far end of the table in red is the birthday lady, Rhonda.  Rhonda has been so much help to me this year through all the medical situations I have had.  It was nice to do something for her this time.  My ability to hear in the restaurant was not good.  I picked up all sorts of noises, but not a lot of voices. 

After the luncheon, I returned home and did laundry, cleaned house, and sewed as I watched a Christmas movie.  I have not started holiday baking - maybe tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment