Tuesday, July 12, 2016

July 11 & 12, 2016

Feeding the Workers
July 11 & 12, 2016


Serving line for supper for VBS workers.
 
For several years, various Sunday School classes have prepared supper during Vacation Bible School, for the teachers and workers.  This allows those who work all day to go right to the church, have a good (free) supper and then be on time for VBS.  Monday was our class's turn.  We served chopped brisket burgers, potato salad, baked beans, chips, cookies, and tea  or strawberry soda for the workers.  The smells in the kitchen were delightful.  We had an excellent crew of workers. It is a good ministry - a little hard for those of us who work to get off early and be ready to serve at 4:30.

My day was hectic from start to finish.  I needed to be at the office a little before 9:00 because Ron had an appointment to get his eyes checked at 9:15.  He had locked up and left when I arrived at 8:50.  He was not back at the office until well after noon.  Mom, my sister Janet, and grandson Jacob, stopped by the office to see if I would be able to take our grandson to the church at 4:00. 
Some of the decor in the room where we were serving.
 
While Ron was at the shop for a bit, I went to the grocery store for cookies for the dinner at the church - just have not had the energy or time the last few days to bake cookies.  Then picked up some lunch and returned to the office to eat.  Ron had an emergency job he had to leave on as soon as I got back.  Then when he got back, I went by Mom's and got our grandson and took him to the church and stayed to work on the meal to be served.  A little later, Ron locked up the shop and went to finish the emergency job and never did make it to the supper at the church.  My sister ended up taking a taxi to the airport to return home since I was so busy.  Hated to not get her to the airport, but she is always quick to say she can take a taxi.  I am glad she was able to be here for a few days.

Before the meal, I helped some as they got things ready, but they had plenty of servers without me.  That type of situation just is overwhelming noise for me. We were serving in the gym and actually chatting at a table was okay, but in the serving line I just could not hear and would not have been a good server. 
 Such great decorations!
 
After all the workers and the kids praise team had been served, the kitchen crew sat down to eat and visit.  Our Sunday school class has such hard workers.  It was good to get to visit with these good friends.

From there, I headed home and it was a while before Ron got home.  I had brought him some left overs and he ate while we caught up one what each other had been up to all day.  He already got his new glasses and I didn't notice.  That was another thing he had to do in between the emergency job and the rest of the day.
Workers can come eat anytime between 4:30 and 5:30.
 
Tuesday morning I got up, moved to the recliner and slept another hour and a half even though I had gone to bed early last night.  I needed to cut the zinnias and gathered over 85 today.  I took them to the office and made 4 arrangements there.  I love having fresh flowers on my desk at work.   

I left the office about 3:30 to pick up our grandson and take him to the church.  He is helping with a variety of things at the church for VBS.  He loves working to keep things moving smoothly.  I hurried back to the office because Ron had a 4:00 appointment.  He left and I had the rest of the day to myself at the office. 

Since Ron would not be back to the office, I had time to do a little cleaning.  I did some sweeping and had hoped to mop, but ran out of time.  Mom had sent me a message that our grandson had forgotten to pick up a package that she needed me to mail.  I would not have been able to go when I picked him up so I just went by after work and picked it up and took it to the post office.

When I got home, I decided to do some weeding in the zinnia garden and got a good bit done before the heat caught up with me.  I came in and cooled off before going out in the backyard to fill the feeders, ponds, and fountains.  I kept thinking how hot it was out there and needed to be sure the birds had plenty of water. 
Our hard working grandson on the right in the yellow shirt. 
 The yellow shirts are the workers.

It was a good evening.  I was able to talk to three of our four sons and one daughter-in-law.  They are all doing well.  The couple in San Antonio is getting ready to visit the couple in New Mexico for a long weekend.  I am so glad they are going to be together.  

These last two days have been busy, but good.  We will pick up the younger grandchildren tomorrow night to spend the rest of the week here at our house.  Fun times ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment