Thursday, August 21, 2014

August 21, 2014

Being a Good Sport
August 21, 2014

Most of you have seen the videos going around on Facebook or even on the news, of people having a bucket of ice water poured over their heads.  It is all being done to raise money for medical research for ALS, also know as Lou Gehrig's disease.  This is a disease that attacks the nerve cells and leads to paralysis with the life expectancy being 3-5 years.  I lost an aunt to this condition.  They have raised almost 42 million dollars!

In this Bucket of Ice Water Challenge, the person participating challenges others that they name to take the challenge, or to donate to the ALS research.  My sister, Janet is in town and had been challenged by her 4 year old grandson to take part.  At supper tonight, she recruited my husband to pour the ice water over her head while Mom and I took videos of the event.  I must say, I don't know when my husband has looked happier!  You can see the video on my Facebook page.  If laughter is the best medicine, we should all be very healthy.  My sister was laughing the hardest.  Fun memories we created this evening!

As for the rest of the day, when I got to the office, I took care of some bookkeeping items and then packed up a couple of birthday gifts to get to the post office.  I went around noon and mailed those and to my delight, found out I was earlier sending them than I thought.  They should arrive in time!  Next I got my lunch and after eating, I decided to sew for a while.  Ron was working on locks for a customer so I tried to help with other customers as much as possible. 

My only hearing problems at the office today were when I was trying to talk to customers and Ron would have to use a machine behind me.  Then the customer's comments would be lost in the noise from the machine.

After work, we met my mom and my sister, Janet, for supper and I did fairly well at supper but had to have Mom repeat several things.  We had a nice time visiting.  When we go to Jason's Deli, Ron fixes a bowl of ice cream for Mom with chocolate syrup.  Lately he has perfected the presentation of that delicacy. Here is Mom with her ice cream.
My sister fixed her own and went for the cone. 
After supper we came home and did the ice bucket challenge.  It was a very good day!

Oh, my allergic reaction is better.  The interior of my mouth is still red - almost divided down the middle - one side red and one side pale pink.  I have a small blood spot on my lower lip and had a couple of hives on that side of my face today, but nothing major.  I am hoping by tomorrow it will all be back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment