Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August 20, 2014

An Allergic Reaction
August 20, 2014



Allergies have bothered me for most of my life.  I was an asthmatic as a child - not severe.  Then as I got older, I began having allergic reactions to several medications and foods.  Doctors have told me to notify them if I have a reaction to a medication.  One time a doctor was going over my list and after questioning me, he told me most of mine were "a sensitivity" to the drug, not an allergic reaction.  So I asked if it was OK to take those drugs then.  He quickly said, "NO!  They could be dangerous."  So if a sensitivity is different than an allergic reaction (and I understand the different way in which the body reacts), is a sensitivity not a sign of an allergic reaction. 

What I am trying to say is, I have only had one severe allergic reaction and that was to shrimp. One drug reaction cost me $1,000 in tests to see if I had leukemia (I did not). It turned out to be a reaction to a very common medication.  With that one, blood vessels in my legs were breaking.  With other medications, I have had hives, severe abdominal problems, and assorted other rashes.  To me that shows an allergic reaction.  The reason I bring this up is that yesterday I returned to the dentist who had put a new cap on my tooth about 10 days ago.  He suggested for the problem that I had yesterday - sensitivity to cold and hot from that tooth and the one in front of it - that I use a prescription medicated tooth paste called PreviDent 5000.  I was to particularity put a small amount on the surface of the tooth in front of the one with the new cap, and he then said I could use it on all of my teeth to strengthen them.

The prescription is a topical fluoride toothpaste.  It strengthens tooth enamel.  One of the last things the dentist said as I left his office yesterday was, "there is nothing in it that will hurt you.  Just use it as I told you."  Last night I put a TINY bit of it on my finger and rubbed it on the outside edge of the offending tooth.  By morning there was a tender spot on the cheek beside that tooth.  I really didn't think much about it and by lunch time that area had gotten larger.  I looked in a mirror and the inside of the cheek was fiery red.  The area continued to spread, so I went to the dentist's office and waited a bit until he got back from lunch.  His assistant met him before he came into the examining room, and told him I thought I was having an allergic reaction to the toothpaste.  He told her he didn't believe that.  He came in and looked and pondered and then told me I was having an allergic reaction to the toothpaste.  He asked if I used as directed; had I spit it out?  I told him I used just a TINY bit - less than a drop and spit afterwards, but there really was almost nothing there.  I asked if he was glad I hadn't used it on all my teeth as he suggested.  He was. We have become friends over the many (35) years I have gone to him. 

The area has continued to spread a little.  It is on the inside of that area up on the roof of my mouth and toward the back.  I asked about taking Benadryl and he agreed that was probably the best choice.  I took one as soon as I left his office and will take another one soon.  He was still shaking his head as I left saying he had never seen a reaction to it.  He told me about not believing the assistant when she told him.  He said to call if I needed him.  I told him there was no doubt that I would do that.  The area feels raw, almost like a burn.  I won't be surprised if it peels in the next day or two.  It is relatively minor.  I will be fine.  I won't use the $25 stuff again.  It was just a reminder as one of my doctors told me years ago, "You can be allergic to anything."  I don't recall what it was but I told him I thought I was allergic to some food, oh yes, I remember, it was iceberg lettuce.  I asked how anyone could be allergic to lettuce.  He told me, "You can be allergic to anything." 

My day started out strangely.  Ron had talked to me yesterday about taking my car in for new tires.  He said either of us could do it.  I suggested he do it.  I got up around 7:00 this morning and looked all over the house for him and couldn't find him.  His car was still here.  Then I thought to look for mine in the garage and it was not there.  He had gone to get the tires.  I texted to ask if that meant I needed to open the shop.  He didn't see the text so I got ready to go and finally called him.  He said he thought they would be finished by time to open up but they were still working so I should go on and open.  He arrived about 9:00.

I took care of some cleaning chores first - emptied trashcans, etc.  Then did paperwork and filing.  After lunch was the trip to the dentist.  From there I did some shopping before returning to the office, but the Benadryl was working on me and making me sleepy.  I was so tired.  At closing time I came home, had a snack, and fell asleep in the recliner until about 7:45 when I got up and fixed supper for us.  It has been a very lazy evening. 

Several customers today asked about my Cochlear Implant.  Two of them were doctors.  The implants are rare enough that many doctors have not seen them or talked to someone in person who has had the surgery and they are very curious.  It was a good day of interacting with customers.  I waited on several early in the day and then when I got back from shopping.  One customer/friend asked me to pray for him about something and I consider it such a privilege to pray for others when they ask.  I will be eager to hear God's answer to those prayers.  I enjoy being able to carry on conversations with this particular young man.  He always brightens my day.

I did a little sewing at the office in the late afternoon, but didn't get very far before I got too sleepy.  Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment