Saturday, May 10, 2014

May 10, 2014

Satisfying Saturday
May 10, 2014



It was a beautiful day in South Texas today!  We had wind and rain, lightening and thunder the evening before and the air was so clean today.  The grass was bright green and the flowers are blooming.  It was a great day!! 
As usual, I was up early for the  housekeeper, but Ron was also home so when she arrived he let her in since I was in the back yard cleaning the windows so they would be in good shape for bird photographs.  With all the rain the ponds and birdbaths didn't need filling but the feeders did.  The birds were in the trees (or on the birdbaths) waiting for their breakfast.

Most of the migrating birds are gone, so it is just the neighborhood birds: the Golden-fronted woodpeckers that live in the tree outside my sewing room, the green jays that have a nest next door, the ducks who think this is their permanent address, the sparrows, doves, and assorted blackbirds.


My brother-in-law, Jim came over to photograph the woodpeckers for a while.  They continue to take food into the hole in the tree non-stop from early morning until almost dark. 
When I went out at 7:00 they were already feeding their babies breakfast, and at about 8:15 this evening as it was getting dark they were still making trips.   The picture above is of the male taking in food early this morning and the one below is the female taking in food late this evening.  I had opened the window so I could listen to the babies and they continue to demand food!
Just before Jim left, we had him take some photos of us in our Team Tate shirts, to send to Tate.  I think I have mentioned that this is a young man who recently had a malignant brain tumor removed and is in rehab, regaining his strength following that surgery.  He has a long road ahead, but many are praying for him and his progress is steady.
After Jim left, I worked for a while cleaning the kitchen and sorting papers.  Once the housekeeper left, I set out to buy groceries.  The family is coming for lunch tomorrow to celebrate Mother's Day.  Ron and I are blessed to have both of our mothers alive and well and living here in town.  My mom is 91 and Ron's mom is 89.

We had a light lunch after I got home and I spent a little more time working in the yard before starting on the quilt binding for the quilt I just got back from the quilter.  I got the binding made and started putting it around the quilt but am only about 1/2 way there.  Tomorrow.  Tomorrow.  Must get it on there tomorrow!!!

This evening was mostly spent in the kitchen working on lunch for tomorrow.  I made cup cakes, fixed a big pot of pinto beans, made a salad, and a few other things.  I talked to our youngest son for a while.  He is excited about graduation and having some of the family in town for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment