Sunday, May 18, 2014

May 16, 2014

Shopping and Decorating
Getting Ready to Celebrate
May 16, 2014

This is being written Sunday night (May 18) since we just got home from Dallas.  I didn't have time or passwords with me to do blogs while I was out of town.  I had so much to take with me for the party, the fact that passwords are the only things I forgot is pretty good.  If I put the last three days in one blog it would be way too long, so I will do each day.  It may take me a couple more days to catch up.

It was very late Thursday night when we got to sleep, but there was much to do on Friday, so I got up early.  I went to the breakfast room at around 8:00 at the hotel, and Ron and David were already there.  The food wasn't great, so a little later we all went to a Chick-fil-A for breakfast.  

The guys (Bob, Ron, and David) then headed to Dallas to meet Stephen after his rehearsal for graduation and the the gals (Mom, Vickey, and I) went to Keller to my sister's home where the party would be Saturday night following graduation.  Ron was going to replace the locks on Stephen's apartment that he just moved into the first of May.  They took care of a few other things at the apartment.  Then they had lunch and did book shopping.
My sister and brother-in-law's lovely home where we had the graduation party.

Once the ladies got to Keller, my sister went with us to do some of the food shopping for the party.  I had taken many things for the party but not food items that needed to be fresh.  We went to Costco and Sam's before returning to Janet's (my sister) home.  We picked up things for lunch while we were out.

After lunch we started on decorations.  
Vickey helped prepare the assorted decorations, while Mom got a nap.

These were the centerpieces on the tables.  They were made from stacks of Stephen's text 
books that were wrapped in ribbons and each had a little graduation cap on it.

Later in the afternoon, Vickey and I went out and got the rest of the food and a couple of little items we needed from Hobby Lobby.  When we got back the guys had arrived and David and Ron joined in helping with decorations.
Stephen came and brought his cap and gown so we could get photos.  
He has worked hard for this achievement and we are so proud of him.

Christina, Stephen's girlfriend arrived early in the evening and Janet and Mom went to pick up pizza for supper.  There were so many things to do.  Besides the decorating, there were tomatoes, onions, and lettuce to cut up for the hamburgers, and lots of decisions to be made on the placement of tables and food items.

Janet's yard is lovely and has so many artistic touches.
Everywhere you turn, there are delightful sights.
These pansies in a yard cart looked lovely.
Planters were unique and colorfully filled.
Colors abounded.
The plants around the pool just added to the relaxing setting.
Graduation beach balls were hung from the pergola to set the area off a little and 
Stephen and his friends all chose to eat out there the next evening at the party.

In all honesty, I can't say that Friday was a relaxing day.  There was so much to be done, but most of it got done - it was just very late when we finished.  We were all exhausted when we arrived back at the hotel that evening.  We had chosen a hotel near DFW airport to be about 1/2 way between Dallas for graduation and Keller for the party.  It was long after midnight before I was in bed that night.  When we had returned to the hotel, the first ones back found that their room card keys didn't work.  The desk re-programed them.  Then the rest of us arrived and had the same problem, but when our keys were re-programed, the keys already done no longer worked.  I had a lengthy discussion with the desk clerk about it and mentioned that we would be arriving late the next evening and didn't want to go through the same thing.  He was not too interested and when the kids went back to get their cards re-programed, he was not very polite. 

The Cochlear Implant - sound processor programing is not working real well.  I really had to struggle in crowds and in the car.  It was very frustrating and exhausting.  It becomes like listening to a foreign language and constantly translating what is being heard and filling in the blanks for missed words.  As I constantly say, "It beats being deaf," but it is by no means perfect and yet they say I am far ahead of most.

No comments:

Post a Comment