Saturday, April 26, 2014

April 26, 2014

Mission Accomplished!
April 26, 2014

For several weeks I have had a quilt in progress on the design wall.  Tonight the design wall is blank. Today, I finished the quilt top.  I took it to a quilt shop in Harlingen and they think they can get it machine quilted for me in time for Stephen's graduation!  I need to go back Monday morning and see the lady who does the quilting.  She was not in today.  I bought the backing and binding fabrics and brought them home to wash and iron.  I still need to get batting.  I am not sure I like the kind that they carry.  I will talk to the lady Monday and see what she says.

Saturday morning, as usual I was up early waiting for the housekeeper to come.  I gave her a challenge today because I was busy in the sewing room and wouldn't let her clean in there.  Shortly before time for her to leave, I told her she could clean the floor, but the rest would have to wait until next time.  I needed to finish the quilt.

Some of the contrasts don't show up in the photo, but I am pleased with the outcome and delighted that it is at the quilt shop to be quilted.

After the housekeeper left, I fixed a sandwich for lunch and then cleaned all the stray threads of the quilt top and pressed it before taking it to Harlingen to the quilt shop.  Before I left, I spotted a new visitor in the backyard.  It was a new bird visiting.
My research says this is a Pearl Cockatiel
It was fun to watch this bird.  It is probably a pet that escaped.  It doesn't seem to be very afraid of us but does fly off when the other birds do.  It keeps following the ducks around.  But this one seems to be taking care of it.
Here, you get a size contrast.  A couple of times it pecked at the duck's feet.  I think the cockatiel thinks it is in charge.  A grackle flew into the midst of a group of birds and ducks and most gave him room.  Not the cockatiel.  He did not seem to be intimidated.
Here they are on the roof together.  Maybe the duck adopted the cockatiel.  I read an article today on things not to ask adoptive parents.  I guess I won't ask.
The duck seemed to stand guard.  Fun to watch.

Back to my trip to the quilt shop.  I talked to a couple of the ladies who work in the shop and one helped me select the thread, backing, and binding.  I am not sure if I will have them bind it or if I will do it myself.  It will probably depend on when they can finish it.

From there I went to the grocery store and got a few things. After putting the groceries away, I started supper and we later had a great supper of ham, sweet potatoes, and pineapple salad.  Ron had spent much of the afternoon working in the yard and was hot and tired.  I think both of us spent time during the evening relaxing and reading.
The flowers continue to bloom and add beauty to the yard.  Each time I go out there I try to pull a few weeds and trim a few things.  There is always work to be done in the yard!

Today was actually a very quiet day.  I did very little talking and didn't have a lot of interaction with others.  I do feel some of the pressure is off since I finished the quilt top.  The day before, I finished the invitations.  I think I am on a roll.  Yea!

No comments:

Post a Comment