Thursday, April 10, 2014

April 10, 2014

An All-American Evening Watching Baseball
April 10, 2014



Again I am covering two days.  Tonight we spent a couple of hours at the Little League ball park watching our two youngest grandsons entertain the crowd.  To say they were "Playing Baseball" would be stretching it a little, although they both got hits.  The youngest one actually made it all the way around the bases, but his group is T-ball and they kind of play by a different set of rules.  He may have actually scored - except they don't keep score, so...
The boys don't know much about the game and this is their first season to play.  But hitting the ball and running increases enjoyment of the game for them.  Both had been playing outfield and entertained the crowds with a little dancing, a little sitting in the grass, a little digging in the dirt, a little bird watching, and a little watching of the game in the next field.
We had a nice family time while the games went on and enjoyed eating snacks and watching the other kids play.  Their cousin is on the team with the youngest of our grandsons, so his dad was there as well as their other grandmother.  Our church youth minister is one of the coaches and one of his sons in on the team with the older of the two boys, and the youth minister's three other children joined us.
As for the rest of the two days, I went to the office a little late yesterday after working in the yard for a while.  Ron was out most of the rest of the day on a job up the valley.  I was able to sweep the place and mop the floor.  That was nice, but I was tired by the end of the work day.  I went by Mom's when I left and then came home to take care of the bird feeders and birdbaths.  I texted a friend to see if she was still at her office and she was so we met for supper.  It had been too long since we had done that and it was a good visit.

Ron and I must have shared a virus.  It hit him Tuesday night and me Wednesday night.  I went to sleep early last night since I didn't feel good, but then woke up at 5:30 this morning.  Since I was awake I decided to go to the gym and did a little more than the last time I was there.  I am trying to use some of the machines that work on arm strength to strengthen the left arm where I had the broken elbow last year. Then I came home and fixed breakfast and got to the office earlier than I have been lately.

I got a couple of bookkeeping things done that I had been putting off and mailed all the stuff to the accountant.  I went to the bank and the post office and then by Mom's house before heading to the ball park.
This is the way to wait on the base for the next chance to run...

...not this.

At the park, it was very windy and that wind is amplified by the sound processor , so it can get irritating.  It was a little hard to carry on conversations but not too bad.  I could hear the "ping" of the bat making contact with the ball and the cheers of the crowd.  Of course, some of the best sounds at the ball park were from my grandchildren as they would tell me they loved me.  Or the predictable question from the youngest grandson, "Did you bring me a Hot Wheels car?"


Once we got home I talked to our daughter-in-law, Vickey to wish her a Happy Birthday!  She had a good day at work and that makes birthdays better.  They have Spring Break next week - a little later than most school districts!

2 comments:

  1. Amanda is playing softball but Drake only had two games before he broke a finger in practice...out for the season and one unhappy little boy! So much fun watching the little ones polar and they look so cute in their uniforms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry Drake is out for the season, but hope you get to enjoy Amanda's games.

      Delete