Sunday, February 2, 2014

February 2, 2014

When They Ring Those Golden Bells 
 February 2, 2014

This morning as I sat in Sunday School I kept hearing a "tinkling" sound and could not figure out what was making the sound.  I wondered if it was coming from someone's cell phone, or what it could be.  On the way home from church I again heard it and it dawned on me what it was.  It was the necklace I was wearing.  It is a silver bell, not a golden bell, but the old hymn When They Ring Those Golden Bells came to mind.

My necklace is a Jewelry John design from their bell collection. (Earlier, I said it was James Avery, but my sister has corrected me to say it is made by Jewelry John from Round Rock.  Thanks for the correction, Janet, and the necklace.  You may want to look them up; they have some lovely pieces.)  I believe it was called "Quilter's Bell".  It was a gift from my sister Janet several years ago.  The holder at the top of the bell is a thimble and the tip of the clapper is a spool of thread.  Then on the bell is a quilt design.  I love it and get many compliments when I wear it.  Not until today did I realize that you could HEAR the bell when I wear it.  I had held the bell close to my ear, years ago and heard it ring.  My granddaughters love to ring it when I wear it, but I never knew it could be heard ringing as I move, until today!  Until my Cochlear Implant, I could not hear it unless it was right beside my ear and even then I don't think I had heard it for years.  I wonder if it is distracting to others.  I may have to be careful where I wear it.  But I think I will be wearing a lot for a while as it  rings and reminds me that I can now hear!

I did a little research on that old hymn and found it was written in 1887 by Daniel de Marbelle.  It is no longer under copy write, so I thought I would include the words.  Maybe you also remember it.  Somehow I am thinking maybe it is in an old movie at a graveside service, possibly being sung as a Negro Spiritual.  Do any of you remember?
 

When They Ring Those Golden Bells
by Daniel de Marbelle  1887
  1. There’s a land beyond the river,
    That we call the sweet forever,
    And we only reach that shore by faith’s decree;
    One by one we’ll gain the portals,
    There to dwell with the immortals,
    When they ring the golden bells for you and me.
    • Refrain:
      Don’t you hear the bells now ringing?
      Don’t you hear the angels singing?
      ’Tis the glory hallelujah Jubilee.
      In that far-off sweet forever,
      Just beyond the shining river,
      When they ring the golden bells for you and me.
  2. We shall know no sin or sorrow,
    In that haven of tomorrow,
    When our barque shall sail beyond the silver sea;
    We shall only know the blessing
    Of our Father’s sweet caressing,
    When they ring the golden bells for you and me.
  3. When our days shall know their number,
    And in death we sweetly slumber,
    When the King commands the spirit to be free;
    Nevermore with anguish laden,
    We shall reach that lovely Eden,
    When they ring the golden bells for you and me.
We had a great Sunday School class today.  So many Winter Texans are joining us to study the Bible on Sunday mornings.  I talked to a couple in church today who are Winter Texans and invited them to our class.  I think they like being able to sleep late as retirees and said they go to an evening Bible study at their RV park but attend our Sunday morning worship services.  So many of the parks provide church services or Bible studies for their guests.  

After church, we came home to a simple lunch and then Ron hung a couple of pictures for me before he took a nap.  I spent a little time in the yard filling the birdbaths.  Since the bird baths have fountains on them, when the wind blows as strongly as it has the last couple of days, some of the spray blows out of the birdbaths.

I think I have mentioned that I belong to a group on Facebook called Project 365.  We commit to take at least one photo a day and to post one on the group site.  I had taken one yesterday of a replica of a Wells Fargo stage coach.  I just snapped the photo of it on the shelf where it sits. 

As I posted it to the group site yesterday, it dawned on me it needed to be in a better setting, so I mentioned on the site that I would try it in another setting another day.  I spent a little time in the yard trying different settings this afternoon and this was my choice for today's post:
I may try some more in the future.  Too bad I don't have miniature horses to go with it. 
When I came in, I read for a while before falling asleep in the recliner for about 30 minutes.  I did some sewing, continuing to work on my scrap quilts.  I made three blocks: one of one type and two of another.
My daughter-in-law Vickey and I chatted for a little bit.  Telephone use continues to be a challenge.  I had called Vickey because I knew she and Bob aren't football fans and would not be watching the Super Bowl.  Vickey and I had both had it on, but with the sound off and we weren't really watching it except to note what a lopsided game it was.
My blog added another country last night - Bulgaria.  That brings the total of countries to 66 I think. 

2 comments:

  1. Your blog today made me tear up. Gene requested this song for his memorial....a recorded version by Tennessee Ernie Ford!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I had heard Tennessee Ernie Ford sing it. Last night as I was typing, I kept hearing (in my mind) Tennessee Ernie Ford singing it in that rich voice of his. There is such comfort in that song. Bless you.

      Delete