Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February 11, 2014

A Wonderful Birthday
February 11, 2014



Isn't it interesting how as we get older, our views of birthdays change?    As a child we often can't wait for our birthday to come.  We want presents, a party, cake, and friends.  We want to know everyone remembered.  As we get older, there often comes a point where the birthday person says, "No gifts, please.  I need to get rid of things, not add more."  We may not care about a party, but we want family and friends. 

During the day today (actually starting just after midnight last night), friends on Facebook began sending birthday greetings.  It is an easy thing to do, but it is also an easy thing to ignore.  So I appreciate all of the family and friends who took a few moments today to send me a Facebook birthday greeting.  Our daughter-in-law and son who live in town invited us over for supper this evening and it was so nice to relax and visit with them. 

Some children like to be the center of attention and others are just naturally the center of attention because they are so much fun to watch.  Our youngest granddaughter is currently at that stage.  She kept us laughing and tried to keep her grandpa in line. 
She had gathered the books that were on the coffee table and stacked them.  She was so proud of herself when they were all in a stack that didn't fall over.  It was fun to watch the kids and talk to them, but with the Cochlear Implant, I often just hear a rumble of noise when several people are talking at once and with seven children in the house, there are lots of times where more than two people are speaking at one time. 
Who needs sound?  I could just sit and watch this cutie all evening.  Well, I need sound or I would have missed her using a cardboard box as a bongo drum and singing away to a song of her own imagination.  I wish I could have heard the melody, but I loved her exuberant effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment