Friday, January 3, 2014

January 3, 2014

How Can it Already Be Friday?
January 3, 2014

My favorite morning cable news host, Steve Doocy, from Fox and Friends, commented earlier this week, "Does it seem to anyone else that we have had three Mondays in the last week?"  There was the day after Christmas that seemed like a Monday.  The real Monday between Christmas and New Year's Day, and the day after New Year's Day seemed like a Monday.  So how can today be Friday?  Added to the feeling of extra Mondays, is the fact that I took off some time while all the kids were here.  Thankfully my husband remembered last night, that today was trash day because the trash can was over flowing and really needed to be set out.

When I woke up this morning, my back was causing a lot of pain.  I managed to get up and start Ron's coffee before heading to a hot shower, followed by the heating pad and some Tylenol.  By around 9:00 it had eased and I started getting ready for work. I had told Ron when he left that he should expect me between 9:00 and 9:30.  Well, close.  I made it by 9:45.  But, my back did not give me any more trouble during the day.  Ron was in and out on jobs and so I was up and down waiting on customers.  Even when he was at the office, he was often on the phone trying to get prices to give estimates, so I waited on more customers than normal.

We had a subtle weather change overnight.  I guess an additional front came in because the temperature dropped and Ron and I both had some aches and pains today.  My arm with the artificial radius cap ached some as did my thumb on that hand.  Ron's heal spur really had him limping badly today.  Getting old is a challenge!

My sister who is at Mom's for a few days, came by my office this afternoon.  We had a nice visit and she had brought some stuff to put in our dumpster since like mine, Mom's trash was over flowing.  My sister is trying to pack away Mom's Christmas decorations while she is here.  She is so much help!  Wish she lived closer, but she comes often and always helps Mom with the big chores.  What a blessing!

Just had a text from Bob and Vickey to say that they are home - 16 hours away.  They had spent most of yesterday in San Antonio with David and Diana's family and then late yesterday started the last leg of their trip.  We are so thankful that all the kids had safe trips here and back to their homes and that everyone stayed well.  I think Bob got home with a cold, but it was just starting when he left here.

A small problem developed with my sound processor for the Cochlear Implant.  I had not charged the remote control for it in a week or more.  I don't use it much and while I was at the house most of the last 10 days, I didn't need to change the settings much.  Yesterday when I tried to change the settings, I could not get it to do so.  I thought it was since I had not charge the unit in a while.  So last night I put it on the charger, but when I went to change settings for supper tonight, the same thing happened.  The audiologist had shown me how to "pair" the sound processor to the remote unit, but I did not expect to have to do that except when I got a new sound processor.  You may recall, I had the sound processor replaced in early November.  When the new one came I had to "pair" it to the remote.  It is a simple process where I just place the coil on the back of the remote and let it "do its thing".  So tonight I tried that and it worked just fine.  Maybe it had just been too long since the remote had heard from the sound processor.  I am glad that was all it was. 

We met our Friday night dinner companions for supper at a new hamburger place just north of the mall.  That worked well for me because I needed to go to the mall after supper  to pay the Discover bill and return one item.  Supper was good and it was fun to catch up with our friends.  Their out-of-town family had come for Christmas, so we each had things to share about the holidays.  The place was noisy, and a little chilly. 

Ron went with me to the mall.  I was not eager to go alone after dark these days.  Some areas of the parking lot were packed and others were almost empty.  Thankfully, one of the two stops I had to make was almost empty and the other was not bad.  We were able to take care of things quickly.  I had not been to the mall since before Christmas. 

This evening I boxed up the decorations from the Christmas tree in the sewing room.  I am missing one box of special lights for that tree so I can't close the box yet.  The missing item is a string of lights that look like spools of thread.  They didn't get on the tree this year because they weren't in the box with the other things and by the time I found them it would have been too hard to add them.  So I want to be sure they get in the box this year, but they are hiding - probably buried on my sewing table!

No comments:

Post a Comment