Tuesday, January 14, 2014

January 14, 2014

A Beautiful Day
And Fun With Friends
January 14, 2014

Winter in South Texas can be cold and wet, warm and sunny, or somewhere in between.  Today was a "warm and sunny" day.  It was cool, clear, and crisp this morning.  As the day went on, it warmed up nicely, but didn't get hot.  One of the Winter Texans in our Sunday School class posted a photo of herself, on her Facebook page today.  She was lying on the sand at South Padre Island and a pelican was standing beside her looking like he was waiting to have lunch served.  Being retired must be fun!  Days like today, on the beach, are why people become Winter Texans.

This morning I worked around the house some, trying to get ready for the quilt group to come over tonight to work on projects and to celebrate the birthday of one of the group members.  I got the kitchen cleaned and the dining table set for our snacks.  Before I knew it, I needed to go to work. 

It wasn't too busy at the office, but there seemed to be a steady stream of customers.  Ron left shortly after I got there to go help a customer with a job they needed him to do for them.  I went through the Christmas cards I had received, reading the letters in them again before I put them away.  I recorded on my list who had sent cards, but have not yet recorded who I sent cards to.  I hope to do that tomorrow.

I gathered trash and filled the big trash can.  I need to do that at least once a day to clear out some of the junk that accumulates daily around the office.  It is a never ending battle.  There were every day chores like filling paper towel holders, getting change in the drawer and restocking that as the day went on.  I did very well with the customers as far as hearing.

I listened to the Rush Limbaugh radio show on my computer and was able to understand him throughout the program.  Maybe because he has a Cochlear Implant, he speaks a little slower than I think he used to.  A few people have asked me how he can do the phone calls, yet I have trouble with them.  Rush does have a special set up for his Cochlear Implant.  If you ever watch him on the computer while he does the show (live), he has a special cable that goes from his coil (with the magnet) to his phone set up.  But, he is sitting in front of his computer screen and someone is typing for him the conversation on the phone.  He occasionally mentions that and explains that he has trouble often understanding on the phone and especially if the person is talking too fast.

Once Ron returned from his job, I did some assorted filing and sorting of papers.  Then around 3:30 I told him I was leaving if he didn't plan to go back out.  I went in the backyard as soon as I got home and the Green Heron that lives back there flew out into the water and landed on a branch and looked at me like he was not pleased that I was making noise in the yard.
I filled the ponds and feeders and the sparrows quickly showed up for an early supper.  I am amazed at how they constantly keep their eye on me.  God created them with an eye on each side of their head so that they can look in more directions at once than we can.  But in almost all my bird photos, the birds are watching me.
I finished getting things ready for the quilt group.  I made some sandwiches and some dip.  I had the chicken salad from yesterday to share.  Just before they arrived, it had gotten dark and we had a full moon, so I took the camera and went outside for photos.  They weren't great.  I guess it was still too light to get good detail, but here is one of my moon photos from tonight.
Right on time, the quilters arrived.  First we each worked on our own projects for a while and then went to the table to eat and chat.  This is a lively group.  We all have so much going on in our lives and have lots to share when we are together.  There was also a lot of food to share.  The others brought fruits, vegetables, cake, whipped cream, and ice cream. 
I admit, my weak arm is tired and sore, but not too bad and I got a lot done today.  I continue to be pleased with the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment