Saturday, January 25, 2014

January 25, 2014

Productive Saturday
January 25, 2014

Yesterday (Friday) I did not get a blog posting written.  There were a couple of reasons:  not much happened and I was sleepy.

Friday morning started out very cold.  It was 37 when I woke up and the temperature continued to go down for a while.  The lowest I saw on my phone was 34 degrees.  Brrr....  I met a friend for breakfast and she was running late - turns out one of their cars (which was parked behind the other) wouldn't start on the cold morning.  While I waited for her to arrive, I watched herons and cormorants across the resaca from where we were meeting.  The bank of the resaca was lined with Snowy Egrets  and Great Egrets.  There were close to 20 when I arrived, but they began leaving one at a time, probably heading to their favorite fishing holes. 
The cormorants were frolicking in the water and flying circles above it - again, in 36 degree, misty, weather.
When my friend arrived, we had a relaxing breakfast, catching up on family news from  her family and mine.  We had not gotten together since before Christmas.  It was good to chat.  We began to make plans for the Winter Texan Banquet that our church will host in early March.  We had made a few plans earlier, but now it was time to plan theme, decorations, and the menu.  So many things to do, but it is good to have a helper. 

When I got to the office, my grandson was there to help for part of the day.  I kept him busy and we had a good time visiting.  It is so nice to have a conversation with him without having to have him repeat everything.  I still have to ask sometimes, but not often.  He had just gotten eye glasses for the first time, so he was adjusting to them.

We went to supper with friends and shivered at the table by the window that I had chosen.  We didn't stay long and then came home where I started on a few household chores.  My housekeeper is out of town this weekend and we were out of town last weekend, so it was time to do some house cleaning.  I got sheets changed.  The last time I had tried that, I couldn't do it due to my arm hurting so much.  So even though I don't like doing housework, it was good to be able to do it. 

I did a little sewing on the scrap quilt I am working on.  I now have 6 squares made.

I got up early this morning and did laundry, cleaned the kitchen, fixed a nice breakfast (that Ron slept through), cleaned the dining room, put away the completed puzzle, and got out a new one. 

This one will be a challenge!  Not only is it 1,000 pieces, but they are shaped oddly.  I can't even find some of the border pieces!

I got the sky portion put together late this afternoon, but I have a feeling this puzzle will be on the table for a while.

Ron slept until noon and shortly after he got up I went to get my hair cut.  After coming home and washing and drying it I went to the grocery store.  I had not been in a couple of weeks, so it took a while.  I had a bit of soreness in the arm today.  Several times when I picked up heavy things, it hurt badly.  As I have said before, when that happens, as soon as I stop doing whatever caused the pain, it goes away.  But a couple of times it was very uncomfortable.  While at Wal-Mart doing my shopping, I got an exercise weight to use with the weak arm to try to strengthen it.

At the grocery store I noticed that I could hear the clerk just fine, but the general "noise" in the store of children crying or begging for goodies, and general chatter, was not loud.  That is a nice way to do the shopping.  Once home, I had groceries to put away and I fixed leftovers for supper.

It is hard to believe January is almost over.  It seems like Christmas was only a few days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment