Monday, January 20, 2014

January 20, 2014

The Perfect End to a Three Day Weekend Away
January 20, 2014

What a perfect ending to an outstanding weekend.  This was today's sunset just as we were arriving back in town.  The weather could not have been better.  The visit with our son David and his wife was wonderful.  The visit with my friend was a treasure.  The shopping was fun.  I wish I could have found a new Sunday dress, but everything else about the weekend was very good, including the food.  Diana's nephew and niece were not with us most of the time; they were with other family, but at least we had time with them at Christmas.

This morning David and Diana both had obligations that meant they had to leave the house early even though it was a school holiday.  We left early also and stopped at Bill Miller Bar-B-Que for breakfast tacos.  We sat and chatted a little, deciding what we wanted to do for the day.  Ron and I have been out of town a lot this past year, but the majority of those trips were either medically related or business trips.  It was so nice to just be having a relaxing day together.  Ron took me to one of my favorite quilt shops.  I spent a couple of hours shopping there while he relaxed with his Kindle, reading the time away.  Next we switched roles and he shopped while I read from my Kindle. 

Following that, we started our trip home from San Antonio.  It was a beautiful day and we were tempted to try the Riverwalk, but being a holiday, we doubted that was a wise decision.  We again found Bar-B-Que for lunch and took time to sit in the restaurant and not eat on the road as we often do. In the car as we drove we were able to enjoy visiting and evaluating our weekend.  I think we both enjoyed it very much! 

When I was shopping at the quilt store this morning, I got into an extended conversation with the saleslady who was helping me.  I had tried one saleslady and got very little help, so I tried another one.  I know I have mentioned before that this is the type of conversation I avoided  if at all possible in the past years due to the hearing problems.  The funniest thing happened as we talked.  I told her we were in town to visit our son and his wife.  She said she had only lived in San Antonio a few years but really liked it.  Then she told me that she was from Albuquerque.  I told her I had a son and daughter-in-law who live there.  Then she told me she moved to Dallas.  I told her I had a son who lived there.  At that point I am not sure if she still believed me.  I am sure she was beginning to wonder how many sons I have or if I just make things up as I go along.  It really became funny.  We did have a delightful conversation and she was very helpful.  Here are a few of my fun fabric purchases this weekend. 
When we arrived at home, we unloaded the car and then met my mom and my brother-in-law Jim for supper.  Jim was here last winter when I went deaf and I still could not hear when he left in the spring.  He was eager to see how I was doing and chose to sit by me at the table at supper so we could chat.  It is probably time for Jim to see about a hearing aid, but we each have to make that decision for ourselves.  The saleslady this morning told me she needed to get one, but keeps putting it off. 

I know that the expense is a major reason many people postpone buying one, but they aren't getting cheaper and it is good to get one before the hearing gets too bad.  The hearing isn't going to get better and the price isn't going to go down, so "bite the bullet" and go get tested if you struggle to hear conversations.  It takes time to adjust to one, and you MUST wear it to adjust to it.  You will not get used to it by leaving it in your desk drawer or your jewelry box.  Normally there is no expense to get tested and most places have an easy payment plan.  They are not cheap, but the rewards of being able to hear again are wonderful. 

It was a delight to see a copy of Jim's new book that is hot off the press.  He had one copy with him and a shipment of them should arrive tomorrow.  This book like the last is about places in Texas to go birding.  The books give clear directions and tell you what you can expect to find when you arrive, both in the way of what birds and also what amenities.  The new book covers the Texas coast.  When I get my copy, I will show you a photo of the book. 

About the time we went to supper, our daughter-in-law Barbara texted and asked if we could pick up our oldest grandson from his Driver's Ed. class again this evening.  Since we missed seeing the grandchildren this weekend, it was a great excuse to get to see them.  We picked him up after his class and he helped us finish the Hot Air Balloon puzzle.
Barbara had taken one of the other boys to his scout group, so when it was over she came by and we got to see all the grandchildren.  It is fun to see a van full of children who can't wait to give you a hug.  We are so blessed!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment