Sunday, January 26, 2014

January 26, 2014

Wonderful Sunny, Winter Sunday 
January 26, 2014

I was up early this morning and had time to make us a nice breakfast.  We arrived at Sunday School a few minutes early and quickly had a room filled with wonderful folks who have become our friends over the years.  Some in our Sunday School class we have known since high school and some we have only met in the last year or two.  At this time of the year, about 1/2 of the people in the class are Winter Texans.  These folks are blessed to be able to leave the cold north to come to sunny South Texas for the winter months.  Well, usually sunny except for a couple of days this past week that were very cold and a couple of days this coming week that are expected to be cold.  Still, it is usually a lot better here, than what their friends at home are dealing with in the winter.

Most of the Winter Texans come to the same place year after year, sometimes having a trailer here for the winter and their home up north.  They become friends with us here in Brownsville, and with the people in the park they live in for the winter.  This morning one of the ladies was asking about 2 Winter Texan couples that she had not seen this year.  She was missing seeing them as are we.  It is hard when for various reasons they can no longer come to spend the winter here.

We had a great lesson in class and I heard much of it.  I don't hear it all, but enough to follow it.  That is much better than in the past years.  We always have a lot of class discussion and I can't hear that as well, but I can sometimes hear the comments but not know who is talking.  Voices just don't sound the same as they used to.  Sometimes the more I talk to a person, the more familiar their voice sounds. 

Our pastor is out of town on a trip with the church school juniors and seniors.  One of our associate pastors preached.  He brought a good message and I heard a lot of what he said but he talks very fast, so it is hard for me to keep up when I mentally stop to figure out a word I didn't understand.  Two of my grandchildren and my daughter-in-law were sitting with me.  Ron's sister is in town for a while and she sat behind us with a couple of our friends.  It is nice to be able to worship with family.

After church we went to lunch with our son's family to a fast food restaurant with a playground.  The kids had a great time playing and by the time the food was ready they were sweating from playing so much. 
We are so blessed to see our grandchildren frequently.  They are growing up so fast!  Where are the years going?  I am so glad I can hear what is going on in their lives.
This is our oldest grandson in his new glasses, all ready to start driving soon with his learner's permit. 
This is my grandson who tangled with the cat he was trying to rescue a few days ago.  He is healing well and still likes the cat.  He is a good guy!
Most of the kids wanted to have their Icee drinks 1/2 Coke and 1/2 cherry.  Here the youngest boy is mixing his up.
The beautiful baby is growing too fast.  She loved the Icee!  She had gotten so hot playing and the Icee tasted fantastic to her. 

The three middle children came home with us for a couple of hours before they had to go back to the church for evening activities.  As always they loved playing with Legos.  We had a quick snack before time to go to the church.
The one on the left was helping the one on the right with his Bible memory verses for his evening class.  He was learning the first four verses of Psalm 23.  He is a quick learner on memory work.

When I have several of the children in the car, their high-pitched, sweet voices, can become overwhelming, but it is still lots better than silence. 

Ron and I spent time working on the puzzle after I took the grand children to the church.  What a nice day. 

I was talking about the years rushing by and this evening I had an email from my brother.  One of his daughters, (my niece), became a grandmother today.  Talk about the years flying by!!!!  Oh, my!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Who's that good lookin guy with the glasses? But it makes him look too old!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, it really does make him look older. He has another pair that make him look more like a bookworm.

      Delete