Sunday, January 12, 2014

January 12, 2014

The Sounds of My Sunday
January 12, 2014


The day started out absolutely beautiful!  What a lovely blue sky.  By the time I went to church, there were some clouds with the promise of rain, but most were like this one which only produced virga, rain that doesn't make it to the ground.

This morning Ron woke me.  I had slept through my alarm again.  I am not sure how to solve this.  Maybe I just need to go to bed earlier.  He had an emergency job to go on before we went to church so he left to go on that and I got up and got ready for Sunday School.  Late last night I had seen a posting on Facebook with a prayer request from a man in our church, asking for prayer for his wife who was in the Emergency Room.  She was pregnant with their second child and her blood pressure had put her and the child in serious danger.  She had a similar problem in her first pregnancy and ended up, after that child was born, she went blind from the high blood pressure.  After several months, God restored her sight.  That first child is an amazingly bright little boy who is 100% boy and is always on the run.

This morning a second FB posting said that she was being sent by life-flight to a hospital about 160 miles away, to deliver the baby 9 weeks early.  Many people were praying for this sweet mother and her unborn child.  She posted early this afternoon that they have a lovely daughter, just under 4 pounds and she and the baby are doing very well.  Praise God!  What a wonderful answer to all those prayers on this Sunday.

I think I identify with the lady to some degree in the fact that I also suddenly lost one of my senses.  Mine was my hearing, hers was her sight.  Her sight was restored from God and my hearing was restored by an awesome medical procedure that I believe is God given.  I can't imagine what she went through, losing her sight just as she had her first baby and not being able to see him for months.  She is such an inspiration and example of trusting God to bring us through whatever He allows us to be going through.  Not everyone has their vision restored when they are blind or their hearing replaced after going deaf, but God is with us in whatever we go through.

Our Sunday School class was filled!  We had to bring in extra chairs.  More of our Winter Texan friends are back in town instead of them staying in the frigid north this winter.  We had other visitors and most of our regular attenders were there.  Several of the Winter Texans had not seen me since they left last Spring, and when they left, I was deaf.  They are so delighted to be able to talk to me and for me to be able to respond without written messages.  Several have kept up with my progress through this blog.

In church there were none of the old familiar hymns.  There were a couple of the old ones set to new music.  I could not pick out the melody on any of them, including the songs at the end of the service.  That is frustrating, but the music is for everyone, not just me.  I heard more of the sermon today.  It was a good sermon, so I am glad I could hear it.  Three of my grandchildren sat with me in church.  One is a real "cuddler" and it always thrills this grandma when she cuddles up close to me and relaxes.  After church she and I went to pick up two of her younger siblings in the preschool wing of the church, and we visited for a while before coming home for lunch.

At lunch Ron and I talked about my hearing and my weak arm.  He asked how much I could hear in Sunday school and I had heard a good bit of it.  He commented that he was pleased with how well I did with my arm throughout the Christmas holidays with lots of extra cooking, etc.  After lunch Ron took a nap before he left to go to a meeting at the church.  I did a little cleaning in the sewing room and once I cleared a spot, I stopped to sew!  I had not sewed in a couple of weeks and I enjoyed getting a chance to do a little. 

I went to the grocery store and I think the way I had my sound processor set worked very well.  I could tell there were other people there and could hear some chatter, but no loud children.  I need to mark this setting!  I only did a little of my shopping and hope to go to another store and finish in the morning before I go to the office.

The sparrows were back this afternoon at the bird feeders and bird baths, but so were the cats.  There are too many stray cats in our neighborhood and they hang out in my backyard under the birdbaths, waiting for lunch.

This evening I talked to our son and daughter-in-law in New Mexico.  Our daughter-in-law works in a school and apparently on her first day back after the holidays she took the flu or a virus from one of the teachers and was out sick most of the week.  I was glad she was well enough to talk tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment