Thursday, January 30, 2014

January 30, 2014

Thursday Nights At Grandma's House
January 30, 2014



Our oldest grandson has been taking Driver's Education classes for a few weeks.  He has been going Monday - Thursday evenings from 6:00 - 8:00.  Tonight was his last class.  He will have the driving training to still do, but this was classroom time.  On Thursday nights, we have picked him up after class and brought him to our house and have also picked up his next youngest brother.  Then the two have spent the night with us.  I am going to miss them being here on Thursday nights.  It is has been fun.


Tonight the younger of the two boys arrived around 6:00 after his mother took his brother to class.  He had not seen the current puzzle in progress and he very aggressively attacked it.  He is an excellent puzzle worker as is his older brother.  The boys finished the puzzle tonight!  They had a good time working on it, constantly trying to out do each other. 
After class, I fixed supper - we had mini-pizzas.  They ate everyone of them.  I had baked and angle food cake and we had it with cherries and homemade whipped cream.   Yummy!
When the boys talk, I often have to ask them to repeat things, but they are so kind and patient with me.  I never get complaints.  They have such good manners.  They have seen what I have gone through the last year from the loss of the hearing to receiving the Cochlear Implant, and they are understanding of the situation.

On my way to the office this morning I went to the post office to mail a gift for a bridal shower.  Then I went to work.  Ron was out on jobs for a while.  Since I had spent the last two days at home waiting for the plumber, I had bookkeeping responsibilities to catch up on.  I needed to send a couple of cards to friends and I answered an email from my friend I visited a couple of weeks ago when we went to San Antonio.  I have really enjoyed catching up on things with her.  For many years, she lived in Washington state, and San Antonio is much closer, but still too far for regular visits.

Around 4:15, I left the office and came home.  I worked in the yard for a bit, filling the bird feeders and the ponds.  I pulled one limb out of the resaca that fell from the weight of the ice yesterday.  It was 1/2 way on the bank and 1/2 way in the water.  There is another larger one in the resaca that Ron may try to get out soon. This one is probably 12 - 15 feet long.
I checked on the plants in the yard and the hibiscus plants on the south side of the house are fine.  Some were blooming today.
The leaves look burned around the edges, but the plants are loaded with buds and should be fine.  A few of the hibiscus plants out in the yard in unprotected areas may suffer a little more damage from the ice, but should be fine after I cut them back in about a month.  There is a vine that keeps trying to take over everything and it looks bad after being coated in ice, but that is fine with me.  It is way too big and climbs the trees and strangles them.

Today my elbow that I broke last June, hurt.  It was sore and the wrist was more painful than it has been in a long time.  I am not sure why.  I  don't know of anything out of the ordinary that I have done.  (I pulled the limb out of the resaca after the wrist was hurting - not before, and I used the other arm to pull the branch out.)   The orthopedic surgeon says there is arthritis in that wrist so I guess that is what it is, but it has hurt often today.

I better close and check to see that my grandsons are at least trying to go to sleep.  Morning will be here before they are ready to get up.  Love those guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment