Tuesday, July 22, 2014

July 22, 2014

Enjoying the Memories 
Of the Weekend
July 22, 2014

There was so much that went on over the last four days with our Family Gathering that my mind is still in a whirl of happy memories.  It just all went by too fast.  I am reminded of rides at Six Flags Over Texas or a carnival where you are whirling around so fast that everything becomes a blur of colors and sounds.  I almost feel that way about the weekend.  It was all just going by too fast to fully be involved in the multiple activities.
I think this game is Risk - Lord of the Rings

Some of our guys like the strategy games like Risk or the newer ones like The Settlers of Catan.  There are so many that the guys (and Kristina) love, but are not my idea of fun.  I want a game that will allow for conversation and little thought.  I do not want to do strategy when I am trying to relax.  I would come closer to working a puzzle.  We tried to have various activities for the wide variety of ages and interests in our group.  We ranged from 2 1/2 years old for our youngest granddaughter to my mom at 91 years old.

Swimming was fun for many.  On Saturday it was still pretty cool for swimming, but that didn't stop most of the kids.  They also had bubbles to blow, Frisbees to throw, and Glow Sticks to Glow.  Vickey even found some balloons that glow in the dark.  There is a tiny light inside them that I think is solar powered.  Anyway, in the middle of the night I had gotten up and looked out the door to see them hanging on the porch, glowing int he dark - Awesome!
Several times I got frustrated when I would have to ask over and over for something to be repeated, but none of the family showed any irritation or impatience with me - it is just my impatience with myself.  Our son Stephen has always been super caring and sensitive about my hearing needs, even before I had the Sudden Hearing Loss.  When I was just hard-of-hearing for years, he would be good about seeking ways to help me.  Now, he reminds the others to speak louder and slower. 

We enjoyed the devotional thoughts that Vickey shared at the end of the shower.  She had been attending a conference in Pflugerville about the various personality groups and at the shower she passed out sheets so that everyone could do their own evaluation and then shared scriptures from the Bible about how we are each created by God and that we are each different.  We need to know our strengths and weaknesses and serve the Lord with the strengths He has given us.
We had great food: hot dogs, pizza, homemade strawberry sherbet, homemade vanilla ice cream, tavern burgers, and just a great variety of easy to fix items.
This was the first batch of pizzas that were ready one evening.  Having 4 ovens (4 cabins) was very helpful!  Yummy!
Everyone tried to help with the little ones so Jeff and Barb could also enjoy the time away.
It was a great weekend - all about the generations.  

Diana and her niece and nephew had already left after the lunch we had at Rudy's before we all headed home.  I came around the corner of the restaurant to head to the car and Jeff's 3 girls were waiting on a bench. 

Soon Jeff's boys joined in for the photo.  So sorry Diana's niece and nephew had already left.  Here they are in earlier photos at the cabins.
Diana's niece with a dish towel she made for Stephen and Kristina.
Here, her nephew was helping in the pool with one of Jeff's little ones.
What a fun time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment