Saturday, August 24, 2013

August 24, 2013

Slow-Paced Saturday
Saturday,  August 24, 2013

Today was a very slow-paced, relaxing day.  Ron was home for a while this morning, so I didn't have to be so concerned about listening for the doorbell when my housekeeper arrived.  Thankfully he was home because I was in the kitchen baking cookies, with the dishwasher going and the TV on and I did not hear my loud doorbell even though I had the Cochlear Implant sound processor on.  He came in and asked me if I was wearing it and I said yes.  He told me I had not reacted when the bell sounded.  I pointed out all the noise around me, but we were both disappointed I had not heard it. 

Ron went to the office to get some work done and I did some laundry and worked in the yard briefly.  I cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeder since I noticed it was empty late yesterday and the hummingbirds were not pleased.  The yard was filled with sparrows, doves, a couple of Great Kiskadees, and a Green Jay or two.  I grabbed the camera for the Great Kiskadee and I think this may be the best photo I have to show the brilliant yellow on the top of his head, even though the photo was through the double-paned glass in the window.  I think he was showing off!

Ron called to set up an appointment for me with my hair stylist.  She and I are still working on a style that better covers the Cochlear Implant.  She said she thinks one more month of growth will help a lot.

I spent part of the morning and part of the afternoon working on the bird quilt that is on the design wall.  I made some fairly good progress.  I had to stop and do some cutting and that is difficult with the elbow pain, so I limited what I cut today.

Then I decided to go to the grocery store.  Ron had warned me that traffic was heavy today.  Everyone must be shopping for back to school items, but I didn't think they would all be at the grocery store.  They were.  I just got what I had to have and left.  Pushing the cart without straining the weak arm is difficult. 

I downloaded another book for the Immersion Reading and was blessed today to get a real bargain.  A book I bought a couple of days ago for the Kindle Fire qualified me for some $1 books and the only one I wanted off their list was also available with the audio version which was only $1.99, so I did very well on that one.  That reminds me, I started reading a book (paperback) this evening called Faking Grace.  It is Christian fiction and is a story about a young lady who needs a job and fakes being a Christian to land a job at a Christian publishing business.  It is a light-hearted look at some of the things we do as Christians, which are not understood by non-Christians.  I have just read part of the first chapter, but I think I will enjoy the book.  I wanted something "light" to read, but this may also be convicting as it looks at the phrases we use, the bumper stickers, etc.  I think I picked it up the last time we were at a Lifeway Bookstore in Houston.

After the grocery shopping, I was back at the sewing machine, while I had some chicken simmering on the stove.  I got a message that my sister Janet had arrived in town and she and my mom were on the way to our house.  I had not seen her since my Cochlear Implant had been activated and she was delighted to be able to converse with me.  It was nice to hear her!!!  Interesting as I sit here writing about it; I think I have mentioned that most voices sound higher pitched than normal, but I think she sounded "normal" to me.  Don't tell her I think she is normal. 

Janet and Mom visited for a while and then the three of us went to supper.  Ron was tied up doing paper work at the office he needed to finish, so he did not join us.  It was nice to relax and chat about our kids and things going on in Janet's life. 

Too bad we only get one Saturday a week!  I enjoyed this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment