Friday, June 14, 2013

Post Cochlear Implant - Day 4
Friday  June 14, 2013

When you own a business, there are certain things that must get done.  You can't just "call in sick".  The first week of any month is my busiest time at the office.  I have to post invoices and print statements.  After Ron looks over them, I fold them and get them in the mail so that we can get paid, and in turn, pay our bills.  I had planned as usual to do all of that, the first week of June.  I broke my elbow June 1.  That kept me out of the office almost all of that week.  I went in one day last week, long  enough to get the statements ready to mail.  Then I had my Cochlear Implant surgery at the beginning of the second week. 

This morning I had Vickey take me to the office so I could get my reports done and sent to our accountant so I can pay the state sales tax next week.  Again I had a restless night, but we went to office about 9:30.  I got the things done that had to be done, but didn't finish all I had hoped.  My ear began to bother me some and I was very tired.  By 12:15 I had reached my limit.

We came home, I took my pain medications, and quickly fell asleep in the recliner.  I had asked Vickey to put ice in the ice pack for my arm, and I was sleeping soundly before she came back into the room a couple of minutes later.  It was 4:00 before I was awake enough for lunch.  Mom had come by and brought some wonderful salads and we greatly appreciated them.  Ron had checked with the doctor's office about my ear pain, but the nurse said she thought the fact that I had been sitting at the office, with the A/C blowing right on me was the problem.  I think she is right.

After lunch, I helped Vickey work on a quilt for Bob.  She has gone through mountains of my fabric as well as some she brought, and selected the ones that would mean something special to Bob.  She has washed all the new fabrics and is beginning to iron them.

We did a little cutting, but with my arm in a cast/brace, I am not much help.  :( 

Eventually we got a few pieces up on the design wall.

It was 9:00 before we sat down to a supper of leftovers.  I heated some while Vickey got out some of the salads Mom had brought.  It had been a long week and we were all exhausted.   Ron didn't get home until late and had a few minutes of reading before we ate.

Generally, I feel good, but tire easily.  A lot of the pain involves the shoulder and elbow, just from the awkwardness of managing the cast.  The discomfort with the ear today was minor, but with us heading into a weekend, I wanted Ron to touch base with the doctor's office.

Ron enjoying his Kindle after a hard week.


  1. I've noticed that going under anesthetic takes the "starch" out of me besides the effects of all the drugs. And you had two doses so close together, I'm sure your system will take some time to recover! Hang in there! Still praying.

    1. Tiny, I think you are right. Thankfully I have been able to be home this week and have Vickey here to take care of the basics for me. I do feel pampered. I think the trip back to Brownsville the day after surgery was also exhausting.

    2. So glad Vickey was able to come and help out. She is such a sweetheart. You've always been there for her, now it's her turn! Give her a big hug for me.