Tuesday, March 4, 2014

March 4, 2014

Such a Busy Day!
March 4, 2014



This day was crammed full with a variety of activities!  Surely I could have gotten something else in there, but I am not sure what.  I had an 8:15 appointment with my Orthopedic Surgeon for a check-up.  It has been 6 months since my second elbow surgery.  There had been slight improvement in the range of motion, but not a lot.  There was not a lot of improvement he could measure with his instruments, but there has been a lot of improvement in my pain level and in my ability to do things.  Those things can't be measured with his tools.  He wants to see me in another 6 months.  I told him I think a lot of the current limitations are simply my lack of confidence.  He said it takes a full two years for the recovery - which my friend Dottie told me very soon after the first surgery. 

Once I arrived at the office, I stayed busy all day.  Ron had a couple of customers when I walked in the door and we both stayed busy with customers for the net couple of hours.  There is a man who comes to town each year with the carnival, and when he comes, he visits our store.  He owns several of the concession stands in the carnival he travels with, and there are several specific items that he buys from us each year.  I thought, being out of town last week, we might have missed him, but this morning he came in with his usual broad smile.  When he was in last year, it was during the time I was deaf and I had no amplification to be able to hear him.  He expressed concern last year and the first thing he asked about today, was my hearing.  We were very busy when he came in so I didn't get to talk to him except to tell him that I could hear him.  Ron updated him and he was so pleased I could again hear.

A few minutes later the man who is working on ordering some of the food for the banquet came by to see how much he needs to order.  He will be back tomorrow for a final count.  He and his wife stayed for a few minutes to visit.  It has been such a help to me to have him take on this task.  My hearing is just not good enough for me to be comfortable discussing pricing and delivery details.  He has done a great job and I do appreciate his willingness to take on that responsibility.  During the day a lot of text messages were exchanged between me and a number of the others who are helping with various aspects of the banquet preparations.  The date we scheduled for the banquet was the only time the man was available for the concert, but it hits at the beginning of our local spring break and that is knocking out a lot of people who might otherwise be able to help.  There is never a "perfect" time for such events, but I am just praying that those who come will have a good time and leave feeling closer to the Lord.  

Ron had a big job to do out of the office today and was out for a couple of hours in the morning and again in the afternoon finishing that job and checking on some others.  I was trying to work in my office, but it seemed as soon as I would sit down, another customer would come in and I would be up taking care of them.  I am so thankful for the business, but I sure didn't get much bookkeeping done today.  I stayed for a while after closing this afternoon to get some of it done. 

A few other text messages went back and forth across the miles as I chatted with a friend far away.  The lady mentioned in her text that her husband's surgery for tomorrow had been moved to the morning instead of the afternoon.  This couple is so special to us.  There is a terrific story about how we became friends.  I don't recall is I have shared this story before; if so, please forgive me.  One Sunday morning I took my mom to the airport very early to catch a plane to go visit my sister in Idaho.  While we waited at the airport, she said that her house was clean and there were clean sheets on the beds in case anyone needed to use the house.  Mom had never told me that before and it seemed a strange statement at the time.  In Sunday school that morning a couple was visiting for the first time.  They said they were here to get alternative medical treatment for the man's cancer.  His doctors had given up on him and had given him 6 months to live.  He wore a back brace because of the cancer having spread to the spine.  The doctors said one wrong movement could be fatal. 

I offered them the use of Mom's house while she was gone.  Once she came home 6 weeks later she told them they could continue to stay and they became the best of friends, as we had done also.  That was 2005!  Nine years later, he continues to battle cancer problems that come and go, but the back brace has long since been tossed away and he takes care of their house and yard, sometimes doing things that are amazing.  They have a wonderful marriage.  Both of them are so very upbeat and positive in all they think and do.  God's love and strength are very evident in their lives.  In those texts this afternoon the wife and I discussed that when the rough times come, you trust in God and do what you have to do.  You don't sit back and complain and fuss.  What an inspiration they have been to us and we thank God for bringing them into our lives.  Praying for Gary as he has another procedure tomorrow.   

When I left the office, I had to go to Sears to pay the Discover bill for the office and then to go vote.  I had only gotten a few blocks from the office when I remembered I had not picked up somethings I needed to be able to work on the centerpieces for the banquet.  So I returned and got those.  After voting, I stopped to pick up something for our supper since I have not bought groceries since we returned from Dallas.  I considered doing it this evening but it was cold and rainy and I just was too tired. 

Once I got home, I ate, worked on preparing some of the centerpiece items and sat down to read and rest a few minutes.  I promptly fell asleep and woke at 10:00.  Instead of going on to bed, I worked some on more preparation for the centerpieces and a couple of other chores.  I had hoped to get some of my Easter decorations out at home, but the only thing that is out so far is this bear.  He is a Valentine bear, but he doesn't want to go in the closet yet, so he is pretending to be a bunny for a while.  You know I am tired when my stuffed toy decorations take on stubborn personalities. 

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could be there to help with the banquet, but guess it is good I didn't plan on it. Just having a hard time getting over the sinus procedure. Drainage has about stopped but my head is so sore, when I sneeze I want to scream! BUT it's getting better every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying that you will get to feeling better quickly. Wish you could be here for the banquet. We MUST plan a trip for you soon to come visit.

      Delete