Saturday, March 15, 2014

March 15, 2014

An Outstanding Day!
Saturday, March 15, 2014

 

We were up early.  Ron was going to spend the day at the shop although we are normally closed on Saturdays.  He has some things to do and he offered to be there in case a package arrived for me that was "on the way".  This is a rather long story, but related to my Cochlear Implant, so here goes:



When I had my surgery, I received two Cochlear Nucleus 5 sound processors.  This the external part of the Cochlear Implant.  This includes the microphones and the sound processor that converts those sounds to send them via the implanted portion, to my brain so that it can figure out what has been heard.  At the time of the implant, Cochlear was working on getting FDA approval of their Nucleus 6.  They said to those who had the surgery during a particular time period, that if the second sound processor was unopened, once the Nucleus 6 was approved, we could trade the unopened one for the Nucleus 6.  I had ordered my replacement recently and had gotten an email Tuesday that it had been shipped via Fed Ex.  I was given a tracking number and when I checked that number on Thursday, I was told it should arrive Saturday at our office.

When I checked the website last night they indicated they didn't know when it would be delivered and that it was to be delivered on a weekday.  I told Ron he didn't have to spend the day at the office, but he has had experiences with Fed Ex before, and if you aren't there to receive the shipment, they return it to Edinburg about 80 miles away and you can go get it.  He said he had things he could work on including our grandson's birthday present for tomorrow.  I checked the site again this morning and there was no indication when it would be delivered.  I had also asked for email notification of delivery time and have not yet heard from them.

The shipment WAS delivered at 4:30 this afternoon.  Ron mentioned to the man that it said "weekday" delivery and he just said, "This is the way we do it."  Thank you, to my kindhearted husband who gave up his Saturday to stay at the office all day.  He did remind me that he was right.  True.  So I have my new sound processor.  I haven't even opened the box yet.

My housekeeper was here this morning, so that makes for a very nice day.  I got a cabinet cleaned out and then I mowed the back yard.  My elbow never gave me a bit of trouble!  That was great.  The yard looks good.  I spent about an hour and a half working in the yard.  After mowing, I had to move all the potted plants back where they belonged (I had moved them to mow).  Then I filled the ponds and pulled some weeds.  It looked like it would rain, but never did.  About the time I came in, I remembered that I had tickets for a benefit chicken Bar-B-Que for Tate Landin, the young veteran who had a brain tumor removed recently.
 
When I came into the house to get my purse, I looked back out at my freshly mowed yard and there were some migrating birds on the waterfall!  I think there were three different kinds.  One flew as I snapped the photo and I mostly have a blur of yellow but I think I will be able to identify him.  My amaryllis plants are blooming beautifully.  One has 4 open blooms right now and should have a fifth by morning.  Last year it bloomed one at a time.  It is so pretty!


Without taking time to clean up I headed over to pick up the Bar-B-Que before it was over.  I took our plates to the office and sat down to have lunch with Ron.  He showed me his progress on our grandson's gift and I was pleased and impressed.  He does good work!  The chicken was outstanding: so tender and flavorful!  While we ate, I asked him to call and see if my hairdresser could cut my hair today - it was past time to have that done; it was way too long.  She was off for Spring Break but the shop owner said she could take me at  2:00.  I let Ron finish my lunch and hurried home to wash my hair before going to get the cut.  There was so much food on the plate, that I had already eaten plenty.  May God bless those who worked so hard on this fund raiser.

Oh, also, while I was there to pick up our plates, I talked to Tate's dad and he had some pieces of good news and we were just praising God for the way things are being worked out to help Tate and Jessica.  We will be in Houston just overnight in about a week and I asked about visiting Tate.  He said that should work out, so pray that we will be able to visit Tate, or at least to see Jessica, his wife.


 After getting my hair done, on the way home, I stopped for a bag of ice, then at home, showered and changed clothes.  I dried my hair before I headed to the grocery store.  While it dried, a Great Kiskadee landed on the birdbath and posed for me for a while.

At the grocery store it had been a long time since I had restocked the shelves at our house.  I took my time and did shopping not only for groceries, but several other things.  As I headed to the car after the shopping, I was thinking about putting the groceries in the back of the Suburban and it dawned on me that I had not taken the ice in the house when I got home earlier.  Oops!  Thankfully it was not a very hot day.  A lot of the ice had melted, but when we bought this vehicle - used - the former owner had put a huge metal tray in the back with a lip all the way around.  All the melted ice was in the tray.  I drained the melted portion that was still in the bag, but didn't drain the tray.  I should have, because it "sloshed" a little as I drove home, but not too badly.

Thankfully Ron was home to unload the ice and the groceries.  He then took a nap and I had supper.  It has really been a very nice day.  The only thing that could make it better on this day that is National Quilting Day, would be if I had time to do some sewing on a quilt.  The day is not over.  I may get in a few minutes at the sewing machine yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment