Saturday, March 1, 2014

February 28, 2014


Linda Learns Locksmithing
(or not)
February 28, 2014

I forgot to mention yesterday that God had an appointment for me at the Locksmith meeting.  I had gone to get a drink or something and a lady heard Ron mention my Cochlear Implant to the instructor.  She told Ron she wanted to talk to me.  I found her and she said her husband is very hard of hearing and the doctor had recently tried to talk to him about an implant.  She told her husband she was going to do research on it and he said not to bother because they couldn't afford it.  I asked if he was on Medicare and she said yes.  I told her my Medicare paid for mine and she started to cry tears of joy.  I hope he will now look into it knowing he can afford it.  I told her I had been the same way until a friend told me it was covered by Medicare.  Praise God!
For our State of Texas Locksmith Licenses, Ron and I must take continuing education hours every so often.  Mostly what I do in the business is the office work and waiting on customers.  As a co-owner I have to take these classes.  Rarely do they offer ones that actually help me in our business, but I have to take them anyway.  So today I took Defense Against Methods of Entry.  Some of the information is was interesting, (some being the operative word), but hopefully it will help me give more intelligent answers to customers.  For two days I have been sitting in 8 hour classes with mostly a room full of men.  Actually today there are 19 men and 3 women in the class.  The teacher has some interesting information.  Yesterday’s class was titled Safe Work for Dummies.  It wasn’t.  I am.  In other words, it was above the level of a novice.
 
For my birthday, my sister had given me a couple of 1000 piece puzzles.  One looked much harder than the other, so I brought that one to let her help me complete.  I started it Wednesday and she joined me when she got back from her vacation yesterday.  I had stayed up very late Wednesday night praying, waiting for news on our friend Tate who was in surgery, and working the puzzle.   I think I need to get home from my vacation to get some sleep.  We left the house about 6:00 a.m. each morning to beat the rush hour traffic.
Both days lunch was served to those attending classes.  The exact same lunch menu was used both days.  I wasn’t impressed the first day.  What can I say about the second day?  Oh, there was a different dessert. 

Hearing in the classes was a problem.  We sat on the front row.  The teacher had a lapel microphone.  It worked well the first two hours the first day and then started getting a lot of interference.  I don’t know why.  He took it off for the rest of yesterday but tried it briefly today.  It helped a little when he used it.  
Tonight we went to dinner with our son, his girlfriend, her mom, and the mom's new husband.  It was so nice of them to invite us.  The food was good and the group we were with was excellent, but the place was very noisy and I just could not hear what was being said at our table. 

Here is our puzzle in progress.  This evening it is almost finished.  My sister had worked on it some today, leaving the hard part for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment