Saturday, March 29, 2014

March 29, 2014

More Yard Work
Saturday,  March 29, 2014



This morning, as usual for Saturday, I was up early before the housekeeper arrived.  I got my hair washed and dried and left to go to the doctor's office for the blood work that I had tried to get yesterday.  I was the only patient there and it didn't take too long.  I made one quick stop on the way home and then worked on cleaning the kitchen some before relaxing for a few minutes with the book I am currently reading. 


Then it was time to work in the yard again.  I had bought a couple of plants to use to decorate at the Winter Texan Banquet and needed to get them planted, so I dug the holes and planted them under the windows of the sewing room.  I hope they don't get too large and block my view.  I also re-potted an Easter Lily that has buds on it.  I hope it doesn't go into shock, but it really needed a bigger pot.  I weeded a flower bed.  Next I worked on cleaning both of the elephant birdbaths.  Both elephants were covered in algae, so I scrubbed them and cleaned and refilled the birdbaths.  Neither is totally clean, but both are better than they were.
 

By the time I got in the house, the birds had shown up to enjoy the birdbaths.  I read and cooled off.  It was much cooler today than yesterday, but still I got warm working in the yard. 

We had two beautiful hanging baskets last year and they looked pretty bad by the end of this winter, but they are both now full of new growth and I have great hopes of them being as beautiful this year as they were last year. 

About 1:30 I decided to go to the grocery store.  For some reason I was reminded of this time last year while I was totally deaf and before I had the Cochlear Implant, and my shopping trips.  I had commented at the time that shopping in Brownsville and not being able to hear is not all bad.  It does help to be able to talk to the checker.  The store was a little busier than most times, but I was able to get the shopping done.  When I went to put my cart in the area for cart storage in the parking lot, I noticed the cart in front of mine had a different color in the seat.  On closer inspection, I saw someone had left their pocket book there.  I took it back into the store to customer service and then came home to unload and put away my purchases.

By that time I was hungry.  I made a sandwich and had my lunch at 4:00.  Ron was working on a couple of jobs in Harlingen and had texted me about the time I left the grocery store that he was heading back to town but had some errands to run when he got back.  He didn't get home until after 6:00, so he had a very long day, too.

The last couple of days I have been washing fabric for a new quilt I am about ready to start.  This one is different from my normal style, so I think I keep putting off making the first cuts.  I must get started!  I ironed most of the fabric this afternoon, so I am out of excuses.  Maybe tomorrow afternoon.  Here is just a small group of the fabrics for the new quilt.

The Red-winged Blackbirds filled the yard much of the afternoon.  I read for a while and then fixed supper while  doing several loads of laundry.  Two more loads to go but I think they will have to wait until tomorrow. 

I was able to talk to our oldest son this evening and we always have a good time discussing politics, science, scripture, and when I will send him cookies next.  He does love his mom's chocolate chip cookies.  I need him to live closer so he could get them while they are freshest.  His wife is still sick (has been sick for a couple of weeks) but is a little better.  She has a bad respiratory infection.

No comments:

Post a Comment