Sunday, February 14, 2016

February 11, 2016

Happy Birthday to Me!
February 11, 2016


 Yes, I turned 70 this week!
 
What a nice birthday I had.  There were no marching bands or fireworks, but there were several cards from friends far and wide and phone calls from our sons.  Ron had told me I could stay home, except for during the lunch hour.  He was going to be tied up then, so he left me sleeping.  When I got up there was a gift bag on the dining table with some jewelry in it for me for my birthday.  

I spent a little time in the yard and had a relaxing morning before going to the office.  It was good to be able to take my time before going to work.


I ended up spending 3 hours at the office doing assorted bookkeeping chores and preparing a bank deposit, then taking it to the bank before returning home.  At home I was working on the binding on the quilt for Mom's birthday.

I picked Mom up a little after 5:00 for supper at Jason's to celebrate my birthday.  We do get in a rut about where we go out to eat, but I need a place that is rather quiet and the choices for that are very limited these days. 

Restaurants seem to see how much noise they can create.  The floors are concrete, the walls are often metal, the ceilings are high and rustic.  They have televisions on playing sports or news, often the kitchen is open to the eating area so that all those noises carry.  I miss affordable,  quiet restaurants.  I am finding that fast food places are often quieter than restaurants.

We had a nice visit at supper and it was rather quiet and then some people came in and set up for a birthday party next to us and were moving furniture, decorating for about 20 people and talking loudly.  I took Mom home and returned home to work on the binding for her quilt. 

The quilt was a surprise for her.  I had bought the fabric last summer and when she saw it she fell in love with it as I had.  She said it would be great as a whole cloth piece, not cut up into pieces.  I knew how much she loved it, so I set it aside to make for her.

It was a good day.  I can't believe I am 70.  I think I feel the way I expected to feel at 50.  Yes, there are some joints that ache a little but all in all, I don't feel like I had assumed a 70 year old would feel.  Does that make sense?  Ron and I thank God often for our good health.  Yes, we have a variety of problems, but they don't slow us down too much.  We see people younger than us who are really suffering.  We are thankful for our health.

Some of the wonderful cards I received.  
I appreciate each one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment