Saturday, April 25, 2015

April 25, 2015

Feels Like Summer
In South Texas
April 25, 2015



This morning's weather forecast on television. 

After months of cloudy, damp, drizzly days, with a few days of sunshine sprinkled in the mix, the sun came out today with a vengeance.  The heat index was at least 105 and may have been higher mid-day.  During the night we had a lightening and thunder storm with a little rain.  The upper valley, about 60 miles up the river from us, had winds around 70 miles an hour and they had some serious damage in a few places.  I am glad that storm lost its strength before it got to us.
I was trying to get some lightening photos last night but didn't get any.  
This shows the rain falling, in the glow of the street lamp.

Since it had rained, Ron was not going out this morning and so he didn't wake me at 6:00 a.m. for my allergy shots.  I woke at 8:30 and was glad to have had the extra sleep.  I gave myself the shots and then had breakfast and about 10:00 took a shower while Ron picked up my mom and Carmen.  I had told Mom I would come about 10:00.  Carmen got to work cleaning and I started working on the quilt backing.  Mom sat back in my recliner and promptly went to sleep.  She later told me she knows why I fall asleep in that chair so often - it is comfy!

While Mom napped, I FINISHED the backing for one of the quilts.  Yea!!!  Now I have one more to do for the current projects of new quilts for our two youngest grandsons.  I am pleased with the one that I finished.  Hopefully I can take them to Harlingen this coming week to get them quilted.

Once I finished, Mom and I left to go to the grocery store.  We went to the Wal-Mart on the Port Road.  There is a new Wal-Mart in town fairly close to our house, but since it just opened this week, I didn't want to face crowds there.  I like the one on the Port Road so chose it today for our shopping.  Mom was a real trooper.  We walked all over that store.  We were from one side to the other and back again.  We were from the front to the back.  That has to be the most walking Mom has done in a long time.  She uses the shopping cart to give her some security as she walks (using it almost as a walker).  We stayed together part of the time, but in the grocery section, we went our own ways.

It was a productive shopping trip for both of us, but when we stepped outside it felt like an oven.  It was so hot and humid.  Part of the problem may be that we have been spoiled to a milder Spring than we have had most years, but I was not prepared for that heat.  I had hoped to mow the back yard this afternoon, but I took that off the list.

Mom and I came to my house so I could put away my cold things and then I took Mom and Carmen home about 3:00.  Once I returned to our house, I sat in that comfy recliner to cool off and once I was cool, I fixed a little lunch and then returned to the recliner and napped until 7:30.  I couldn't help it; the heat had just zapped my strength. Once I got myself awake, I did a few minor chores and eventually fixed my supper about 10:00 p.m. 

I did work in the yard briefly around 8:00, filling feeders and ponds and watering hanging baskets.  They had all dried out in today's heat.  Then I spent some time on the computer and saw I had a blog viewing from another country: Nigeria.  The last couple of months have brought 4 new countries: Fiji, Peru, and Bahrain, besides today's country of Nigeria.  That brings the total to 86 countries and just under 46,000 page views.

This evening Ron changed the filters on my Cochlear sound processors.  These should be changed every two months.  The drying blocks for the drying units are to be changed every two months.  All of these products can only be bought from Cochlear and they are expensive, but it is minor in relation to the ability to be hearing again.  Tomorrow afternoon we will be keeping the 5 youngest grandchildren and I will be delighted to HEAR all about their vacation.  I expect I will be on "listening overload" by the end of the afternoon, but will be spending the afternoon laughing and loving, hugging and hearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment