Monday, February 6, 2017

February 6, 2017

Wonderfully Wet Weekend
February 6, 2017

Saturday morning rain pouring off the roof over my sewing room
This weekend started out drippy and wet Friday evening and it rained off and on all night.  Saturday morning it was still raining and in all we got one and a half inches.  Saturday was supposed to clear off, but it stayed cloudy almost all day.  Mid-morning Saturday the sun tried to peek through the clouds and it was able to just briefly.  It rained again Saturday night a couple of times.
The sun came out briefly and turned the
 rain drops to glistening jewels in the trees.
It was a lazy, stay-at-home day for me on Saturday.  I was up early but napped in the middle of the day.  My day included some sewing, some cooking, some cleaning, some laundry, and some reading.  It was just an enjoyable day.  I had baked a ham and Ron took some to his mom late in the day.  Ron worked on a project for our next grandson who should arrive this coming Tuesday.  He also put away all the boxes of Christmas decorations.  The tree is still up, but everything else is done.  (It is an artificial tree.)
My mom with Jeff's second oldest child.
Sunday morning, we were up early and we picked my mom up about 8:30 for a trip to McAllen for the day.  It was a beautiful day in Brownsville, but before we got to McAllen the fog was thick and we were back in a wet weekend.  We went to Sunday School and church with our son Jeff's family.  Jeff was being ordained a deacon at the church where they are members.  Hearing at Jeff's church is difficult. They don't have the extras that our church does to make it easier for me to use my assorted Cochlear accessories in order to hear better.
Jeff's oldest girl.
Following church we went to their house for lunch and an afternoon of visiting.  The fog lifted during the morning, but there was very little sunshine during the afternoon.  The children scattered for the afternoon.  The youngest boy showed me how much he is enjoying the new swing set.  He is strong and daring!
Jeff's youngest son
The rest of the previous week (the end of January and start of February) was good.  At the office I was able to finish up the end-of-the-month work for the most part.  There are a couple of reports still to prepare, but everything is ready for them.  The statements were mailed and I also mailed the last of my Christmas cards - except for about 4 that go overseas.
Brown Pelican at Port Isabel
On Wednesday evening I rode with Ron to South Padre Island where he had a job to do for a business there.  I took some bird photos while he did that and then we returned to Port Isabel where we had supper at Pirates' Landing.  It was a good evening.  Thursday night we had supper with our friends and on Friday night we had supper with my mom and then I took her grocery shopping.
Brown Pelicans
On Thursday I had an appointment with my heart doctor to get the results of an earlier Echo Cardiogram, and he said my heart looked great.  He said there were a couple of minor changes from 3 years ago, but he was very pleased with what he saw.  After talking a while he did decide to send me to a pulmonary specialist but the first appointment we could work out is for May.
Jeff's youngest child with one of the baby kittens
During this past week we had contact with all of our sons and/or their families.  They are all so busy.  Our daughter-in-law in McAllen had taken their 3 girls on a trip.  Our son in New Mexico is preparing for a trip this week to California for business.  Our daughter-in-law in San Antonio had been busy with her Academic Decathlon team at competitions.  Our son and his wife in Dallas had spent the week awaiting the arrival of their infant son.  Each family is busy with their lives and so are we.  We just keep thinking of all the trips we want to make to spend time with them.
One of the recently finished receiving blankets
This past week, I was able to relax a little more, having finished most of the baby receiving blankets promised for our new grand son due this coming week.  I worked some on a quilt-in-progress that has been on the design wall for months.  I also started a new project and got about 2 dozen blocks made for it.  It is a quick easy project.
Another receiving blanket
Some birds have finally returned to the yard.  This year there have not been many at the feeders.  There have been some hawks around and that limits the other birds.  Saturday I had a good variety, including several green jays, several wood peckers, and several other birds - wrens, sparrows, and hummingbirds.
Jeff's middle daughter
Today, I can't hear myself talk.  It has nothing to do with my deafness.  I have lost my voice.  I can barely get out a croak.  My husband keeps saying, "I can't hear you."  That makes two of us.  I can't hear me either!


  1. This blog has a different must be feeling better! I am so glad! I'm heading to Clarendon Saturday....permanently! I'll email details later.

    1. Yes, I am feeling better - don't have a voice, but feel better. :)