Friday, December 19, 2014

December 18, 2014

One Week Until Christmas!  
December 18, 2014



It is hard to believe that Christmas is just around the corner in a couple of ways.  In some ways, it has seemed as though the days have flown past in a blur all year, so why should Christmas be different.  In other ways, it is hard to believe, when outside it has been in the upper 70s and low 80s.  We are still running the air-conditioners every day.  Mom has opened up her house several days and aired it our with nicer temperatures, but I don't have screen doors the mosquitoes still are everywhere and I want to keep them out.

The yards all over town are beautiful.  The grass is green, some of the trees are putting out Spring growth, and things are in bloom.  It has been a lovely December.  It is hard to think of Christmas shopping in short sleeved shirts.  The Winter Texans come in the shop wearing their shorts.  Where is Winter?

Christmas shopping is NOT all done.  Last year all of the family was here for Christmas and this year none of the out of town family can come.  That means it will be a quiet Christmas, but also that I will need to mail a lot of things.  Yesterday I made one trip to the post office and mailed all of the things to Bob and Vickey.  I mailed just a small box to Stephen and Kristina, and a box of things to my sister that she wanted.  I still need to do the main box for the newly weds.  We will meet David Sunday for lunch 1/2 way between us and his family, and trade gifts there.  It will be good to see him and have a brief visit.

I have had very little time for baking.  The house doesn't smell like Christmas.  Of course that keeps me from taste-testing each batch of cookies, but I do miss all of that.  I love to bake.

Christmas is about the birth of Christ.  It is the start of a story that changed the world.  We can each accept the free gift of eternal life offered to us by the death of Christ on the cross.  If all we see is a baby in a manger, we have only seen a tiny glimpse of the Christmas story.  We do celebrate the birth of Christ at this time of the year, but if Christ had not grown up to be a sinless man who died on the cross to pay for our sins, he would only be a homeless child born in a stable.  Most of us love the Christmas story.  It is a lot easier to watch a presentation of that event than a presentation of the death of Christ.  It hurts to see him beaten and crucified for my sins and the sins of the world.  He rose again and ascended to Heaven where those who have accepted his free gift of eternal life will some day be with him.

That free gift is available to all who will believe in Him, ask Him for forgiveness of their sins, and ask Him to be Lord of their lives - living for Him in all that they do. Some feel that turning over their lives to Christ means giving up too much.  What it really means is gaining so much!  First, we gain eternal life in Christ, but while here on earth we gain His peace, comfort, and strength.  Life can be tough.  Becoming a Christian doesn't mean we will never face problems, but it does mean we don't face them alone.

Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of the holidays, I need to stop and remember what it is all about.  It is not about ME giving someone THE perfect gift.  It is about THE PERFECT GIFT that God gave us when He gave His son to die for our sins.  I hope as you go through this last week before Christmas, that you will take time to think about what we are celebrating.

All of that said, I do want to give gifts to those I love.  I do want to get them things they need or want.  I would like them to arrive on time.  I want those around me to feel loved.  Ron and I are so blessed with the family that God has given to us.  I cherish each one born into our family or married into our family.  They are all treasures!

As for my day... I went to the office early, to open up and to clear my desk so the computer technician could work on my new computer and try to get everything off my old computer onto the new one.  I did not like it when he would say things like, "The bad news is..." or  "That won't work..." or "I will have to do it the hard way..."  He was not able to do a direct transfer because the old one kept crashing.  Ron had errands to run including taking my car in for an oil change.

While the computer technician worked we chatted a little and the subject of my deafness came up and he is concerned about his hearing.  He has played in a rock and roll band and not protected his ears - very few people do.  I wear eye protection when using our machines, but not ear protection.  We don't "feel" the immediate effects of the frequent damage to our hearing from loud noises, whereas if I get a brass shaving in my eye while cutting a key, I feel it at once and remember to wear eye protection after that.

On the subject of protection, thankfully I listened to years of Rush Limbaugh advertising Carbonite to backup your computer to protect your files, and stared purchasing it for the office computer several years ago.  Without that, I would be in a HUGE mess right now.  Instead, the technician installed a few new programs in my computer and contacted Carbonite and they started downloading my files.  The computer says it may take a "few days".  I had A LOT on my computer including thousands and thousands of photos!  They are all in the process of downloading!  Yea!  Losing the computer was irritating, but it could have been disastrous without that off site backup.  The technician spent much of the day there and I dread seeing the bill, but with all the bookkeeping on it, there is not a choice.  I had all my original install discs on the important programs.  So things are progressing.

Late in the afternoon I went to the post office.  We met friends for supper and then I went by Mom's to check on her medications.  She is getting organized on them and on several other things.  Carmen has been cleaning out cabinets and helping in so many ways.

From there I went shopping and picked up a few things.  Stephen called as I was headed to my second shopping site and his day had been equally long where he had just put in a 12 hour day at the bookstore.  Thursdays are his long days, but this one seemed a little longer than usual.  It is always a joy to hear from my children.  It was 10:00 before I got home and I talked to Ron a few minutes and then fell asleep in the recliner to wake at midnight and move to the bed.

1 comment:

  1. I never got over putting up a Christmas tree in shorts!!! Praying the words of this blog will bless whoever reads it and that those who don't know Jesus will get curious and ask questions! Great witnessing, Linda!

    ReplyDelete