Wednesday, September 24, 2014

September 24, 2014

Praying for My Mom
September 24, 2014

My mother is 91 years old.  Rather, I should say, 91  years young.  Mom has always been full of energy and eager to go places and do things.  Two weeks ago, she hurt her back.  She thinks she did it trying to add some lengths of chain to her ceiling fan since the chain on it was too hard to reach.  Somehow, that seems to have stressed her spine and one vertebrae has a transverse fracture in it.  Today a doctor asked my sister if she also knew that Mom had a fractured rib at the same level as the fractured vertebrae.  No.  In these two weeks the pain has continued unrelenting, and the strong pain killing medications she is being given are not cutting the pain. 

The last two days there has been a very slight improvement, but very minor.  The doctors are at a loss to explain why she is in so much pain and why the medications are not helping.  So tomorrow afternoon they expect to do a procedure to "cement" that fracture and see if that can make a difference. 

This has been a difficult time for Mom.  She had made plans to go home with my sister about the time she hurt her back and thinking it was only a pulled muscle, she made the trip anyway.  So for now she is stuck there.  She can't safely travel to return home.  I think all of us feel that she is where she needs to be to get excellent treatment and care.  It is hard to not be able to be there, but for now, that is the way it is.

My day started early.  For some reason I was awake before my alarm went off.  After getting ready for work, I again went to my favorite, Chick-fil-A for one of their free breakfasts.  I got mine free and bought one to take to Ron at the office.  Soon after that he left on jobs for the rest of the morning.  I had experimented with a new quilt pattern before I left the house this morning and ended up doing quilt sewing at the office for a couple of hours or more.

My sister updated me on Mom's condition and what the plans were to deal with it.  Later, my bother updated me to say most of the information had changed as well as the plans.  It was a stressful time.

During the time Ron was out of the office, I had several customers but they all tried my patience.  Each was a little different in their problems, but several were pushy in their attitudes.  It was just exhausting dealing with them. 

Late in the afternoon, I texted my daughter-in-law and asked what she was doing.  She was trying to get the kids to do their school work.  I invited them to join us for a supper of stew at our house.  They showed up and we had a wonderful visit and good food.  My grandchildren can brighten any day!  They run to give hugs and sweet words.  Ron took our oldest grandson to the church for youth activities and the rest of the children headed to the Lego Room - even the youngest.

About the time Ron got back, Jeff arrived from his day in McAllen.  The adults ate and talked while the children played and soon they showed up to eat.  I had put a dessert in the oven and we had that and talked some more.  Our son Bob called and I later returned his call and also talked to our son David.  They wanted to know what was going on with their Grandmother.  Stephen also had called.  So it is an extra good day when I get to talk to all four of our sons.

The children always love to come over and play with the Legos and the toys at Grandma's house that are not the same as ones at home.  They are such sweet kids.  Sorry if I repeat myself.  Excuse this proud Grandma.  After Jeff's family left I did those phone calls to our other boys and then cleaned up the kitchen.  It was so hard to hear my boys on the phone.
Please remember my Mom is your prayers, especially tomorrow afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment